Friday, February 11, 2011

Something to ponder ...

Since having to take all of these nasty medications, my once thick hair has thinned a bit. Even with reducing the drugs my hair follicles are extremely loose and my hair simply falls out throughout the day. I find that I am slowly growing accustomed to the shedding dog look but seriously doubt I’ll ever get used to eating my hair which enjoys falling out in my food. Even though I know it’s my hair and it’s clean, I am grossed out when I find it tangled in my food which is now in my mouth. My normal habit is to walk over to the trash can and spit the food out. If I realize that my lost hair has taken up residence on my plate, I will make myself a new plate of food.

Yet, this morning the verse “All things work together for the good...” took on a new and revised meaning for me. I have been praying, “God, please help me get this weight off. God, please let my prednisone moon-shaped face find cheekbones in the land of the living. God, please take away my desire to eat.” After my prayer sheepishly offered over a bowl of oatmeal and raisins, a light bulb moment flared in my brain.

Unfortunately, sometimes God has to use a flash of lightning to obtain my unfocused attention. I have been praying, “Lord, make me thin,” all the while finding comfort in food. I have been praying, “Lord, tighten up the old hair follicles.” Perchance, God is using these two requests to prompt me. Could God be giving me a signal to stop eating when I find hair in my mouth? Eureka, a new revelation of God’s intimate leading in my life.

So, that’s my deep probing thought and interpretation of scripture for the day. Some may determine that my theological prowess is lacking in substance. Nonetheless, I find this new insight intriguing and deserving of honor. So, positioned under “the point is” magnet on my refrigerator is my new mantra, “Stop eating when your hair falls into your food.”


Be blessed,
Debbie

No comments: