Sunday, April 05, 2009

Older Than Dirt

Yep, that’s me. I am older than dirt. Friday my birthday was announced at school. I had several students ask me my age and my normal response was, “Honey, I am older than dirt.” Of course, since they are nosey little fifth graders they continued guessing my age when they went to their next classes.

I have lunch duty at school on Fridays. Joy. Well, not really but sometimes we must pretend. The other fifth grade teacher that has duty on Friday is a friend of mine. She related this conversation, “Mrs. H, we are trying to figure out Mrs. Baskin’s age. I think that maybe she’s 40.” (BTW, I would take 40 gladly!!) Leslie said she just smiled and then another one of my sweet, sweet students said, “Oh, Mrs. Baskin isn’t 40. I think she’s around 30!!”

While I love these students guessing my age a decade or two lower than my age, I do have great apprehension. I teach them math!! And, my students have all met Paul, who is 16 and they have been pictures of Michael, Bobby, and Christi! Respective ages 26, 27, and 28. (Yes, Mark and I were a little busy for several years.)

Unfortunately, I am very concerned how these sweet students will fair on their state tests when we return from spring break. Obviously, their addition skills are lacking but now I am worried about their eyesight, too!

2 comments:

r said...

Happy Birthday, Debbie!!! That's cute that your kids are trying to guess your age. You do look lots younger than you are!

TobyBo said...

LOL. My Mum has told me she is 29 my whole life... and I believe her. Despite that, I did well in math. :)